[not the most flattering picture of me but the cupcakes look good!]
My mom was kind enough to let me share this recipe with all of you (hi, mom!) and I encourage you to share it with your friends. Trust me - once you make these cupcakes everyone be asking for the recipe. This Strawberry Valentine Cupcake recipe yields about 30 cupcakes (2 1/2 dozen).
3 TBSP Flour
1 box strawberry jello (sugar free does not yield the same results)
1 box white cake mix
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup frozen strawberries in syrup.
1. Combine all ingredients for the cupcakes into a large mixing bowl.
2. Mix on low until all ingredients are well combined and the mixture is fairly smooth (it will be a little lumpy due to the strawberries)
3. If you are really adventurous and shun cupcake wrappers (or cupcakes) you will need to grease your pans well. The jello makes the finished cakes über sticky and a little difficult to remove if the pan is not well greased. For this reason I highly recommend using cupcake wrappers.
4. Scoop batter into cupcake liners leaving about a 1/2 inch allowance.
5. Bake at 325° F for 20 - 25 minutes. You will have to watch these cupcakes. I suggest watching for slightly browned tops and doing the tried and true toothpick test (if the toothpick comes out fairly clean you are good to go).
While these cupcakes are baking and cooling you can whip up your frosting!
For the frosting:
3 TBSP frozen strawberries in syrup
1 lb (3 cups) confectioners sugar
1 stick (8 TBSP) margarine, butter or butter-like substance, softened
*optional* 1 box strawberries for decoration
1. Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl
2. Mix until smooth on med speed. If your icing looks more like a dough, add a little milk or cream to bring it to the right consistency (thick but fluffy).
Once your cupcakes have cooled (again, jello is sticky so you really want them to be cool to the touch so that your frosting isn't crumby) lightly frost the tops to set up a good base for the fancier frosting. If you aren't into fancy frosting, feel free to use the remaining icing on the cupcakes now.
Using a large star shaped frosting tip, gently pipe frosting on to every other cupcake. Use a pairing knife to cut strawberries into little hearts.