(A huge thanks to Wes for putting together this fantastic checklist!)
2 Months Prior to Moving…
- Research your new town on the Internet or purchase a copy of their local newspaper to familiarize yourself with the community.
- Decide if the move will be do-it-yourself or if you’re hiring movers. (If the latter, call moving companies and get estimates on the move.)
- Construct a floor plan of your new home and map out where to put furniture.
- If you have children, contact their current school for their records. Then contact their new school and find out how to transfer the papers.
- Keep a log of moving-expense receipts as some may be tax deductible.
- Gather and organize important documents such as medical records, legal documents and birth certificates.
- Order moving announcements to inform friends and family about your relocation.
- Contact any renovators, such as plumbers or carpenters, necessary to ensure your new home is ready to move in the day of your arrival.
- If you are moving a great distance, order luggage tags for parcels you are taking with you on the plane.
- Check with your insurance company to see how possessions are covered during the move.
- If you’re doing the move yourself, reserve a rental truck, or if you’re hiring a company to help, go over your estimates to decide on the best movers for your relocation.
- Order return address labels to match your new location.
- Give proper notice to any clubs or organizations you belong to and ask if there are similar groups in your new town.
- Purchase a gift for your realtor. Try a stamp or embosser, notepads or personalized stationery.
- Disconnect any old utilities and call to set up new accounts.
- Don’t forget to send out your moving announcements!
2 Weeks Prior to Moving…
- Go through your house and throw away anything you don’t want to take in the move. Be honest with yourself – it will make the move that much easier.
- After sorting through your belongings, hold a moving sale to sell what you and your family won’t be using in the future.
- Notify creditors of your new address.
- Get a head start and begin packing items you do not use on a regular basis.
1 Week Prior to Moving…
- If driving, service your car in preparation for the move.
- Finish packing for the move.
1 Day Prior to Moving…
- Take a trip to the bank to empty and close your safe-deposit box. Call banks around your new town to set up new accounts.
- Obtain cash or traveler’s checks. You’ll need it to pay the movers.
- Make an inventory of items being moved to your new home. This inventory can act as a checklist on move-in day and will ensure everything gets to its new destination.
- Pack small suitcases of necessities for the move, similar to packing for a short vacation.
Arrival at New Address…
- Note your utility meter readings and make sure all utilities are functioning properly.
- Watch the movers and go over the inventory checklist you made earlier to make sure nothing is missing.
- Give the kids responsibilities such as unpacking items for their bedrooms. It will make them feel involved in making the new house your home.
Once You’ve Settled In…